Wednesday, February 02, 2005

State of the Union

For many years now, I have elected not to listen to the President's State of the Union address. Why should I? All day a legion of reporters, analysts, and self-proclaimed 'experts' will tell me what the President is going to say. Then tomorrow, these same pundits will tell me what he said. Why should I bother to listen?

After all, I have a large group of very well-paid consultants who are eager to insure that I understand exactly what will be or what was said (at least their slant on the content). Should I presume to interpose my meager knowledge against this collected wisdom?

As a matter of fact, YES! Forewarned with the knowledge that each of these national personalities have their own private agenda, I can filter through their blatherings and usually determine what was important.

Often it is more important to listen to what not is said. What these 'experts' do not comment about is sometimes the really crucial meat of the address.

No comments: